Lips have a very large number of nerve endings, which makes them extremely sensitive. Lip skin is thinner and more sensitive than on the rest of our body. This is why lips are prone to dehydration and cracking, and why they usually require constant care and nourishment.
The most practical way to keep your lips moisturized and healthy is by regularly using lip balm. When applied on lips, balms create a protective layer and prevent the skin from drying out and chapping. They come in various shapes, colors and flavors, and of course with a wide variety of ingredients.
One of the newest types of lip care products are CBD lip balms. They combine cannabidiol and hemp seed oil as the two main ingredients, which offer a natural lip skin care.
CBD lip balms are a type of topical, infused with a specific amount of cannabidiol. The amount of CBD per lip balm is determined by the manufacturer, and the precise amount of CBD is usually stated on the packaging.
Although cannabidiol is the main ingredient in any CBD lip balm, depending on the type of the CBD extract that was used in the production process (full-spectrum, broad-spectrum or CBD isolate), the balm can contain other cannabinoids too.
But, if you want to choose what your CBD lip balm contains, you can easily make it at home with CBD oil.
By following the steps listed below you can have a lip balm with unique ingredients and a personalized amount of CBD. So let’s start!
These are the ingredients that you’ll be needing for 4 tubes of balm (each tube will contain 5mg of CBD):
- 20mg of CBD (one full dropper of our Regular CBD Oil Tincture)
- ½ tablespoon of coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of beeswax (you can also use candelilla wax for a vegan version of this balm)
- A couple of drops of your favorite essential oil (e.g. peppermint, lavender, lemon, vanilla). Essential oils will embellish your lip balm with a beautiful aroma)
You’ll also require:
- A saucepan, a glass container, a dropper, a tablespoon, and 4 plastic lip balm tubes. You can use lip balm tints instead of plastic tubes.
- Take the glass container and place it in the middle of the saucepan. Fill the saucepan with water (approximately half of the saucepan should be covered in water). Heat the water at medium temperature.
- Add the coconut oil and beeswax in the glass container, and slowly stir the mixture until it becomes liquid. Make sure you keep the heat at medium temperature to avoid boiling.
- Once the mixture liquefies, turn the heat off, and add the CBD oil and essential oils. Stir.
- Take your dropper, and fill the tubes with the mixture.
- Now you need to wait for a while, so the lip balms can cool down and solidify.
- Your homemade CBD lip balms are ready!